Saturday, August 1, 2009

Update #3 - Argentinian Horse Sale

The official livestock show in Palermo finished on Friday. I was somewhat relieved after 4 hard and very cold days photographing outside. Today I was invited by Carlos Ojea to join him in attending an Argentinian horse sale outside of Buenos Aires. I had to jump at the opportunity to get outside of the big city metropolis.

The horse sale was hosted by Cabaňas La Valentina y San Arsenio, about a 1 hour drive outside of Buenos Aires. This sale was exclusively for the criollo breed of horse, which is native to Latin America and very popular in Argentina and Brazil. This breed also showed at the Exposicion Rural and there should be a few pictures on ShowChampions.com. At the sale, the Brazilians were out in full force, throwing around pesos and reals like you wouldn't believe. For 40 lots, I think the average was somewhere around $10,000 USD. It was a little confusing at times, but not because I couldn't understand the numbers. It was only after the sale when Carlos told me that the bids were for a monthly payment x 12 payments. That's why it sounded cheap - I thought everyone was getting a great deal!

It was a cold and windy day at the estancia, and being winter, the farm was not in top condition. Add the fact that there is a major drought occuring and you don't have the ideal lush conditions that Latin American farms are known for. Either way, I think I got some good shots. Nothing crazy, but it was nice to be the only photographer there compared to the 100 or so shooting over your shoulder at the show.


The crowds outside the sale barn.

Brazilian gauchos making last minute preparations

The sale barn. The light was completely green in here because of the overhead materials; hence the color correction attempt. Believe me, you do not want to see the original. Oh yeah, I should mention that the seating you see is all made of hay bails and everyone is smoking! How unsafe is that!? I thought the barn was going to burn down for sure.

Lote numero uno.

Gaucho with a traditional Argentinian poncho.

Sale attendee taking a sip of Mate, a herbal tea beverage that is very common in Argentina.

Gauchos getting ready to help bring in the horses.






Delicious empanadas. Pretty much an unlimited supply.

With a sale, comes a bar-b-que or asado as they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment